PDA

View Full Version : Looking for a GLA power plant

Hostile
09-05-2004, 11:53 AM
If anyone has a model I can use for the GLA power plant and not the windmill that's in ZH. I need something the Iranians can use. Though If I must I may just reskin an existing one as my modeling skills are limited and our modeler is already working full steam. TYIA ~Hostile

The End 007
09-05-2004, 04:01 PM
I know you said you're not really a moddeler but why not make a mobile power plant for the gla have a technical with a trailer and a field generator on it that would give it a GLA styled edge with it being mobile and all. But it may also make it easier to model as you can take the technical model rip the gun off and just add either a field generator to the back or put a trailer on it with a generator and maybe some stuff on the back.

Komataguri
09-05-2004, 04:12 PM
If you want to be atleast semi-realistic, A generator capable of powering something like a military faction would not fit in the back of a pickup truck.

It would have to be a tow behind trailer, and in all reality.. thats not really enough either. in the real world, a generator this powerful is so large that it has to be trucked in on a flatbet 18 wheeler and craned into position.

But since I doubt you'd go that far, the tow behind is the best choice.

Something like this http://hqinet001.hqmc.usmc.mil/p&r/concepts/2001/IMAGES/Truck_MTVR%20with%20Generator.jpg

killakanz
09-05-2004, 04:13 PM
he's onto a good idea y'know, and maybe have it only affect buildings close to it. I think that would be great

The End 007
09-05-2004, 04:19 PM
If you want to be atleast semi-realistic, A generator capable of powering something like a military faction would not fit in the back of a pickup truck.

It would have to be a tow behind trailer, and in all reality.. thats not really enough either. in the real world, a generator this powerful is so large that it has to be trucked in on a flatbet 18 wheeler and craned into position.

But since I doubt you'd go that far, the tow behind is the best choice.

Something like this http://hqinet001.hqmc.usmc.mil/p&r/concepts/2001/IMAGES/Truck_MTVR%20with%20Generator.jpg

I know but first off the GLA have a lot of self-powered structures I was thinking for only a few major buildings like the black markets and scud storms. I was just thinking of for practicallity I mean the GLA radar isn't exactly realistic it has a singular large satellite dish now where are the GLA gonna get satellites from?

Komataguri
09-05-2004, 04:22 PM
Radar dishes don't use satalites.

A radar dish sends out a signal, and detects how much of that signal is bounced back.

THen the computer calculates the time it took for the bounce back, and the ammount of the signal that was bounced back, to calculate the size, heading, and distance of an object.

Not all dishes are satallite.

And a generator that can fit into a pickup truck is barely powerful enough to power one average home.

So you want a trailer, since they will be larger, and produce more power. Power that is needed my a military force.

Hostile
09-05-2004, 04:23 PM
Well getting back on topic this is for the Iranians, so a structure would be necessary but I do like the ideas here. :)

Silent_Killa
09-05-2004, 04:26 PM
can I steal this idea? It would be great for my American Militia side...

generators come in lots of sizes... but one that could fit into a pickup would only provide limited power too a medium sized structure... also depends on the size of the pickup... but lets not get into that :p

The End 007
09-05-2004, 04:32 PM
Take it if you want it, but it doesn't have to be a pickup, you could get a 40 ton truck if you want with a field generator on the back.

Komataguri
09-05-2004, 04:33 PM
Trust me dude

I have had alot of experiance recently with Generators.

Ones that fit in a pickup can barely power the energy needs of your average home.

Tow behind generators are really what Millitia need.

Yes, I know they come in alot of different capacities.

Silent_Killa
09-05-2004, 04:41 PM
yeah, I was just saying that there were generators that could fit into the back of a pickup... Iran would need military style ones, but my Militia side will probably have one bolted down on a flatbed or something

GametagAeonFlux
09-05-2004, 08:26 PM
How about you try doing solar-panels? But then people would complain with stupid things like, "Its teh night time, how is teh GLA getting power??11/!1!"

Hostile
09-06-2004, 01:20 AM
Well the Iranians aren't exactly third world so they will get a normal power plant.

Structures, that will need power
Palace, Shaheb Missle Storm, War factory, Black Market, and Heavy Water/Uranium Enrichment facility. Maybe also another base defense not finilaized yet.

GametagAeonFlux
09-06-2004, 01:22 AM
What do you mean by a "normal power plant"? Something like the China and USA plants or something?

Hostile
09-06-2004, 01:34 AM
yes, exactly. Iran is not the GLA. They just use the GLA theme. They will actually have to spend some generals points to get basic GLA stuff like the Tunnel Entrances. They are more conventional and need a normal power plant.

GametagAeonFlux
09-06-2004, 01:42 AM
Ok, i get it......kind of, but since they have to use General Points to get Tunnel Entrances, does that mean that they will actually be worth buying as a base defense?

Hostile
09-06-2004, 02:06 AM
level one science for a tunnel netwrok, I'd buy that for a dollar. Sure. Plus the only other level one science will be veteran technicals. So it's ok.

GametagAeonFlux
09-06-2004, 02:10 AM
No offense, but veteran technicals suck, how about something a little more, ummmm, original? Sorry if i'm coming off as a little mean here.

Hostile
09-06-2004, 02:18 AM
I love vet techs, fill about six of them with infantry and rocketmen and run as fast as you can past the gattling defenses into the heart of the beast!

Actually we're still forming the Iranians so somethng could change, just at this point we didn't have another level 1 science. Consider it a placecard science.

GametagAeonFlux
09-06-2004, 02:22 AM
Ok, well thats good to hear, and one more thing, could you make the technical have fire-ports, or would that make it too much like the Hummer?

Hostile
09-06-2004, 02:25 AM
I thought about that, but that would be pretty powerful seeing how fast they are. Could you imagine 6 Vet Techs fully loaded with rocketmen coming into your base right past your defenses?. You might take out one or two but then they unload 20 rocketmen and the whole time they were firning at your defenses blowing the crap outta them. To powerful... Also check your messages.

Sleipnir
09-06-2004, 02:30 AM
Back onto the topic of the powerplant, why not use the old Underground Generator model? Check out UBPwrPlant_N/_DN/_EN. You'll need to make daytime models for it, but that's not very hard.

Hostile
09-06-2004, 02:33 AM
Thanks I will, wonder why they have other states but not daytime huh...

GametagAeonFlux
09-06-2004, 02:34 AM
Wow, haven't seen Sleipnir here since like....ever :lol: . But is that a civilian building Sleipnir? It doesn't sound too familiar. And also, is that in Generals or ZH, it sounds....interesting, i just want to see it myself.

Sleipnir
09-06-2004, 02:34 AM
They were overwritten by the Wind Generator....

Edit: GametagAeonFlux posted while i was writing that. It was (I believe) the original powerplant for the Fundamentalists (who later became the GLA). It's in both the Beta and in ZH.

GametagAeonFlux
09-06-2004, 02:41 AM
Wow, that thing is...interesting. Are there any other models from the "Fundamentalists" in ZH, i don't have the beta, but i DO have the site that has the models ;) .

Sleipnir
09-06-2004, 02:44 AM
The 'GLA Airfield' hails from that time, but thats about it in the Beta/ZH.

Hostile
09-06-2004, 02:57 AM
Back onto the topic of the powerplant, why not use the old Underground Generator model? Check out UBPwrPlant_N/_DN/_EN. You'll need to make daytime models for it, but that's not very hard.

That's absolutely perfect. Next question how do I change a skin from night to day. But whatever the case. That unit will work out great. Thanx.

Seeing the Iranians will have an air force, then the GLA airfiled might be brought back to life also. Gooooood...stuff

GametagAeonFlux
09-06-2004, 03:06 AM
Hostile, PLEASE do not use the GLA airfield, its used in plenty other mods, unless you mean the Airstrip like thingy, but still, thats used in atleast 3 or 4 other mods.

Hostile
09-06-2004, 03:12 AM
I haven't yet looked at the model if is cheesy than no I won't give me some time to review it all. But I did get to see the GLA pwoerplant with the skins on and it is perfect for what we need. Airfield later, we haven't even modeled the aircraft yet so not a priority.

GametagAeonFlux
09-06-2004, 03:41 AM
http://pic4.picturetrail.com/VOL735/2576567/5123480/65925898.jpg

Its just that, i'll save you some time. Its ok looking, but it just.....i dont know, go ahead and use it, i'll render it in 3DS if you want me to.

Sponge
09-06-2004, 05:42 AM
sage_inferno aand pierre made a fully functional GLA airfield quite a while ago. It was on Sleipnir's site. It was slightly modified - it's arranged 2x2, not a straight 4 like this one - and apparently can use the standard USA airfield code, so you can put it straight in with theminimum of fuss. If you need it, let me know - I should be able to email to you.

Hostile
09-06-2004, 05:50 AM
Thanks I will seek it out, as I like the idea of 2x2 rather than the one strip. At Sleinirs...how did I miss that. :)

GametagAeonFlux
09-06-2004, 12:35 PM
Maybe if you missed it, you should post it in the Public Resources: Public W3D Models Use thread. :)

Sponge
09-06-2004, 01:49 PM
It's not in there. It's way, waaaaaay down the sstandard pages (quite a long way down). Thjere was quite a number of updates posted for it, and it's not always that clear which is the latest one, so if you'd rather save yourself the effort of looking mega numbers of pages down Sleip's paage listing, let me know and I'll send it to you.

EDIT : I don't want to mess with it - posting the model like that should really bee done by it's original authors (sage_inferno and/or pierre), not me. At least, that's what I think.

Hostile
09-06-2004, 01:50 PM
please send it too me hostile@crisisnow.com. I appreciate it. Thanks.

DarkSideDave
09-06-2004, 03:41 PM
Isn't that model the GLA Airfield from the beta?

It was removed from the final for fear of being too unrealistic (not that the game is anyway)

But seriously, 3 jet-aircraft taking off from an airstrip about 100m long? riiiight

Hostile
09-06-2004, 05:23 PM
Well there is a remade version that is 2x2 that would be the model I'd like.